AMAZON

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Full Moon or What?




Is there a full moon glowing over the world or what? For centuries the Full Moon has been believed to be the time when werewolves and vampires awaken and walk the earth. This moon phase has also been associated with folklore concerning insomnia, madness—thus the words lunacy and lunatic from the Latin word Luna (moon)—as well as and various magical phenomena such as lycanthropy (transformation of a human into animal form). In other words, during a full moon crazy things happen and people perform absurd and bizarre actions.

Checking the moon phases I have determined that we are not in the midst of a full moon, so there must be some other reason for the idiotic actions of some of the people in southwestern Colorado where a homeowners' association has threatened to fine a resident $25 a day until she removes a Christmas wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.

The lunacy seems to come from one Bob Kearns, president of the Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs. When the members of the Architectural Control Committee refused to obey Kerns’ order to fine Lisa Jensen, the homeowner who placed the peace wreath on her home, Kearns fired all five members of the committee.

Had I not read of Mr. Kearns’ power-play action of firing the members of the committee that refused to issue the fine, I would not have been as concerned as I am. Concerned, yes; but not concerned about lunacy. It seems to me that a lot of people in power positions in the United States, from the president of this Loma Linda Homeowners Association in Colorado to the Oval Office in Washington, D.C., seem to be lunatics when in comes to exercising their power over the lives and freedom of others. Perhaps that is to be expected: It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.” ~ David Brin (1950 - ) US engineer and science fiction author

The good news: Support has gathered for Jensen’s peace wreath since the story was first published nationwide; it appears that the full moon has not affected all of us!

My theology informs me that Lisa Jensen is blessed and a blessing to all of us. After all, didn’t Jesus say: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.”

Shalom to you, Ms. Jensen!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice photo Nick. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a backwards little Southern town straight out of Easy Rider, so I would have expected something like that here. I was surprised to see the rest of the country is equally as angry and uptight.

    On a different topic, there's another nice Moon Phase Calculator here. It's not as informative as yours, but it's prettier. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good news is that at least as of our 10:00 news last night here in Colorado. Is that the Loma Linda Homeowners Association has apologized and Lisa Jensen can keep her Peace sign wreath.
    Now several Peace sign wreaths have started to appear in the very same neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nick...thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment:-) I always enjoy "meeting" new people...especially ones wearing a Santa hat like me!! lol Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DMMGMFM: You’re welcome! I admit that I found the photo via a Google search.


    APPU: Thank you for the information on full moon day in Indian astrology. I always appreciate learning something that I did not know. I find it somewhat strange that European legends connect the full moon with evil—werewolves, vampires, and insanity—while in India it’s connected with intelligence. I must do some more research!


    THOMAS: At one time I thought that ignorance and prejudice was the realm of small provincial towns. I’ve since learned that that not the case. I also suspect that the magnitude of intolerance is more dependent upon the power of the persons expressing it that either the location or size of the population. Thus, this guy Kerns was able to express his bigotry all the more because of his political position, which did not necessarily express the attitude of the people living in the Pagosa Springs. The comment by Nina (below) that several Peace sign wreaths have now started to appear in the very same neighborhood rather confirms that Kerns’ view was in the minority. Another constructive thing about the small town in which you live: YOU live there!

    Thanks for the Moon Phase Calculator link: the moon phase photos are quite illustrative.


    JD’S ROSE: I agree about the moon being perrty! I have always been drawn to moon gazing—either because I am a dreamer or maybe part werewolf. Anyway, a few nights ago Alex and I spent time on my deck staring at the moon. At least I didn’t howl at it.


    NINA: Thank you for the update. The actions by the community reaffirm my trust in human nature. It seems that Ms. Jensen and her peace wreath truly were blessings to others and I’m so happy to hear that others have put up similar wreaths!


    PEA: You are welcome. Thank you for your blog, which this morning awakened in me the Spirit of Christmas more than anything else thus far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that Ms Jensen is getting to keep her wreath. I can't believe how far some folks will go to turn a peace symbol into something anti-American, unpatriotic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SQUIRL: Regarding folks who turn even the most benign into something anti-American, unpatriotic, I think I have concluded that these people have faulty cerebral programming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about the flap over the wreath. At first I just thought it was crazy. Then I thought what I do do if some bigot fined me for putting up my Christmas tree. You never know. In today's America it could happen to me. Or to you.

    ReplyDelete