AMAZON

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Some Day They May Come for Me


They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

~ Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group after group.

Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) had numerous connections to the seminary I attended. His words dramatized in this video were a major part of my seminary curriculum. As a historian, I understand what Pastor Niemöller is saying much too well.

Please take a moment to watch the video and please, if at all possible, share it with others.


If the panderers of hate and prejudice gain the power that the right-wing seeks, some day they may come for me—and, perhaps, you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm adding this as a linkback to my sunday Thoughts posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always inspire me to think. And you make me react. Sometimes that's a pleasant thing, sometimes that's a worrisome thing.
    Today it was a sobering thing.

    All are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike: Thanks for passing it on. I’ll drop by in a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi: Thank you. That’s a real compliment to me and my goal. Sobering is an excellent description of Martin Niemöller’s words. What is most frightening to me is that he accurately reposts history. And, history does repeat itself. Perhaps this time it here in the United States.

    ReplyDelete