AMAZON

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Justice in the Face of Taliban Agression

Malalai Yousafzai



When I read that fourteen-year-old Malalai Yousafzai had been shot in an assassination attempt by Pakistani Taliban, I was overwhelmed by rage and sadness. Two other girls were also injured in the attack; one of whom remains in a critical condition. I am pleased that Pakistani officials have offered a 10 million rupee ($105,000; £66,000) reward for information leading to the arrest of her attackers. However, that the Taliban even exist to perpetrate such an injustice makes me ill.



Fundamentalist groups, whether they be the Taliban or the U.S. Tea Party, are a great concern to me and have been since the 1970s. After reading the works of Karen Armstrong I gained an understanding of fundamentalist mindset: their war is not a religious war but rather a war against modernity. And, unless the peoples of the world want to return to a dark age, it is a war that we cannot allow fundamentalists to win.

I strongly recommend the writings of Karen Armstrong. Here are a few:

1 comment:

  1. GOD bless this dear young girl. She is beautiful. The Taliban are cowards to do this horrible despicable and devastating act! I do not believe in capital punishment but for the Taliban and all the innocent human life they have taken and tried to take, I think it would be better served to be considered. If they are not caught, then they should continue to be hunted down like bin laden.

    ReplyDelete