AMAZON

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Thoughts on the Second Sunday of Advent


The candle of peace is lighted on the Second Sunday of Advent. This old world of ours has not experienced peace in a very long time. The evils perpetuated by terrorists—and would-be terrorists—have driven the idea of peace from many people’s minds. With new shootings and bombings being the headlines day after day, I wonder if we can ever have peace.





For a while, the Spirit of Christmas was not with me. However, with my illnesses of the last few days and the many illnesses I carry in my body, the thought came to me that this Christmas of 2015 may be my last Christmas so I’ve decided not to allow anything to prevent me from celebrating Advent and Christmas season.


After April 12th and all that I’ve been through since I no longer look like St. Nicholas. However, I believe that the Spirit remains with me.
 





 


 This hymn, sung by me with a simple guitar accompaniment, has been part of my Christmas Eve services for years.
In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

The light of the Christmas star to you,
The warmth of home and hearth to you,
The cheer and good will of friends to you,
The hope of a childlike heart to you,
The joy of a thousand angels to you,
The love of the Son,
And God’s peace to you.

~ a Celtic blessing



 

No comments:

Post a Comment