AMAZON

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Amazing Grace Sunday

Today is Amazing Grace Sunday.

Two hundred years ago, British politician William Wilberforce and his band of loyal friends took on the most powerful forces of their day to end the slave trade. His mentor was John Newton, the slave-trader-turned-song-writer, who wrote the world’s most popular hymn, Amazing Grace.

This year is the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade. But the work of justice and mercy continues. 27 million men, women, and children are still enslaved around the globe.

How sweet the sound of freedom.


I don't believe it is by chance that the release of the film Amazing Grace coincides with this remembrance. Malnurtured Snay has an excellent trailer of the film on this site. I invite you to view it.

Below is a map of the locations of congregations in the United States who participated in Amazing Grace Sunday.


May I also add that Amazing Grace was known as "an early American Melody" and became a favorite of the Cherokee (Native American) Nation? It was sung by the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears and can be considered the Cherokee National anthem.

The Trail of Tears

6 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed this song (it's works for a woman with a deep voice), but didn't know the history. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tear comes to my eye each time I see or hear those beautiful words. That was the song we laid Daddy to rest with and on the 5th anniversary of his death I sang it at a karaoke show in his honor, he always loved my voice. It was the only time I have ever sang that song and I don't know if I ever could again but to me its a piece of him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always love the hymn "Amazing Grace", especially by someone in the sixties. Was it Judy Collins or Joan Baez?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grateful for this post. Amazing Grace Sunday was powerful at our church. You should have been there. (Hint)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You brought joy into my life again, Rev. Nick. Thank you (again)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of my favorite hymns...it reminds me of my grandmother. her voice sounded angelic when she sang it.

    ReplyDelete