AMAZON

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Paddy's Day at Nick's Coffee House




An Irish Song ~ The Chad Mitchell Trio

Ireland has leprechauns
She suffered many wrongs
Ireland has peat bog fires
And a bloody lot of songs



Welcome to my coffee house on this St. Patrick's Day! As the boys above just sang, Ireland has an awful lot of songs! There is no way that this coffee house can come close to doing justice to the music of Ireland: the love songs, the sad songs, the drinking songs, the funny stories, the songs of rebellion, the songs makin' fun of the British, etc. So, I'm postin' just a few of me favorites and hope you'll enjoy them as ya sip a cup of coffee, perhaps with a bit of Irish whiskey in it for the flavor.

Paper and Pins ~ Peg and Bobby Clancy

Donal Agus Morag ~ Celtic Song

Mr. Moses Ri-Tooral-I-Ay ~ The Clancy Brothers

Whiskey You're the Devil ~ Liam Clancy

The Old Orange Flute ~ The Dubliners

Farewell, But Whenever ~ Mary O'Hara

The Risin' of the Moon ~ The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye ~ The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem

Four Green Fields ~ The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem





I hope you've enjoyed the music!Before you go, if you have the time, of course, I ask you to listen to one more song. Actually, it is a poem set to music and given a superb dramatic reading by the author, the late actor and singer Richard Harris.

The poem is entitled
There Are Too Many Saviors on My Cross. Mr. Harris wrote it in 1973, in the midst of the then latest batch of "troubles" between the outlawed Irish Republican Army and the government (and British) in Northern Ireland. The various place names, the “orange” and the “green,” and the fact that Harris was Irish, made it obvious: his specific subject was the conflict between Protestant and Catholic in Northern Ireland.

As with all great poetry, it rings true in a much broader context, including to my ears, sectraian violence no matter where and between whom it takes place. The words are a magnificent call for peace, tolerance, and understanding.

Please take a moment to listen. And, if you find it as powerful as I have over the past 35 or so years, you may wish to read There
HERE.

There Are Too Many Saviors on My Cross ~ Richard Harris


7 comments:

  1. Well done, Rev. Saint! I applaud your selection of music. Ending with the Richard Harris poem was a fina act of peacemaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to listen now but I'll try to listen later on. I love Celtic music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St Patrick's Day to you Nick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Paddy's Day and thanks for stopping by The Ancient Digger. I absolutely adore this type of music. My friend, who's actually featured on the website, has a band that plays many of these favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Reverend Nick! I appreciate the music, some of which I followed the link to and downloaded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy St. Patrick's Day to ya, ya Irish soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOve the music, Thank you, sir.

    ReplyDelete