AMAZON

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Peace: Be Not Afraid



Peace is the theme of today, the Second Sunday of Advent


Many years ago I thought of the Peace of Advent as being related to Pax Britannica or Pax Romana: a time of wide-ranging stability when there was only a single dominant power.However, in time I came to understand that the Peace celebrated on the Second Sunday of Advent encompasses much more than the absence or war or even a time of stability. The Peace of the Second Sunday of Advent refers to God's Peace. 


Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 4:6-7
 
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. ~ John 14:27




1 comment: