AMAZON

Friday, March 09, 2007

Alex Came Running

My friend and pastor, Doug, drove me to my house this afternoon. As I crossed the threshold, I called Alex's name. When he didn't respond, I wasn't concerned: the last time I was there Alex was in the yard next door and jumped down from the fence and came running when I called him. This time, when I went on the deck and called him, he didn't come runnning.

I refilled his two food and his water bowls, putting in lots of dry food plus two packets of his favorite his favorite eats. I then went out on the deck and called him again. No response came from Alex.

Although I did not want to leave, I was dependent upon Doug for transportation because I have been unable to pay my auto insurance or renew the license plate which was due in my birth month, February. So I locked the front door, and as I was going across the porch, I called Alex one last time.

I saw a white streak running from a yard across the street from my house. I was overjoyed to call Alex as he came running toward me. Alex wouldn't come up on the porch because Doug was there, but as soon as I unlocked and opened the door, he played the "bat of out hell" and ran into the house. I caught up with him in the kitchen, scooped my friend into my arms, and hugged him as he purred. Then he jumped to the floor, leaped onto his dining table, and I added a third packet his favorite food to the bowl that already held two pockets. I stroked his head and ears as he ate and then slipped quietly out the front door. Saying good-bye is painful for me-and, I believe, Alex.

The replacement forms for my pension withdrawal had arrived in the church's mail yesterday and Doug had brought them with him. I have re-completed them and hope to mail them back to the Pension Board tomorrow.

This has been a good and hope-filled day.

27 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to see Alex, Nick. I am praying like crazy that your pension comes soon and you are able to move home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my heart hurts for Alex...and you too. Hissy can't stand it when I leave to check the mail. He cries at the door until I come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... he's just like a child. That is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so funny. Maybe very soon you will be back with him full-time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been awhile since I've stopped by. I pray that things start to go better for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. God's with you, Rev saint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine how difficult leaving Alex at your house can be. None pet people just don't get it, but pet owners end up getting so attacted to the animals that they are just like the human members of the household.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the difficulties you've encountered Nick, but am glad you're staying at your mom's, & got to see Alex, too...

    As always, many hugs & prayers to you & yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God you're doing OK. Its a pain in the butt when people let you down. Are they going to pay you your pension from when you were supposed to get it?

    I'm hoping you continue to get better. And that Alex is ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saintly,

    I'm praying for you and I'm so glad to see you are positive and that you shared a loving moment with your furball.

    Stay strong and uplifted, my dear!
    xx
    pink

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad Alex finally came running and purring for you!!!

    I hope you get your pension funds soon, Nick. Mr. Wonderful and I and our Aleks are all thinking about you and Alex :)

    (btw, who is that cruel anonymous who left the last comment on your previous post? regardless of the circumstances, if someone offered to mail something for you but didn't, that's just mean, and the comment of the cowardly anonymous is even meaner. gah!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nick, you and Alex are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alex, I'm so sorry for you and Alex. I really, really hope you can go home soon and see your beloved companion. He will be so happy to have you back and you will be over the moon to be back.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alex, I'm so sorry for you and Alex. I really, really hope you can go home soon and see your beloved companion. He will be so happy to have you back and you will be over the moon to be back.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Nick, I am so sorry you and Alex can't be together. I had no idea you were in such dire straights ... I hadn't been by to read for a while ... huge apologies. Wish there was something I could do to help you. HOpe your pension comes through soon. Please give Alex and yourself a huge hug from me.
    Take care, Meow

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's wishing you many more good and hope-filled days ahead. *many hugs*

    -N

    ReplyDelete
  18. (((HUGS)))

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quick payment of your pension benefits, so you and Alex can return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. how are you and the furball doing? any pension comin' in the mail yet?
    xx
    pinks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope things work out for you soon...it must be so difficult leaving Alex :( * fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to see Alex greeted you! I hope everything works out in your favor Nick! Lots of prayers going out to you!

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Forgive me for sticking my nose in, but I've been lurking some from Laurie's blog.

    I wonder if you couldn't get help from your county social services office with paying the outstanding power bill?

    Also, I think there might be a provision that electric companies ought not turn off power to people with medical conditions that require electricity. There is such a thing here in NJ.

    Just a thought. Glad to read that things are looking up some.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am hoping that things are looking up for you and Alex. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi Nick ~~ I hope things are looking better for now and Alex by now. I am
    so glad he came running as his non-appearane would have worried you.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Take care, my friend, Regards,Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a great story that gave me hope too :)

    ReplyDelete