AMAZON

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Mishmash


Christmas Memories

When I was a kid, Christmas was like Chanukah: 8 days (almost) of presents. My mother had seven siblings, so we had Christmas celebrations at least at three homes:
  • Aunt Alma (Mom's sister) & Uncle Frank
  • Aunt Lill (Mom's sister) & Uncle Otto
  • Mom's family's traditional Christmas Eve gathering.

Then, after Christmas at one of Mom's sibling's homes on Christmas Eve, we'd return to my family's home and celebrate Christmas there on Christmas Day.

Later on Christmas Day, we'd go to one of my father's two siblings home to celebrate Christmas again.

Of course, there were times when the extended family celebration took place at my house, which was OK but as a kid it didn't seem as much fun to me.


Let's see: that's 5 Christmas celebrations and five meals and five sets of presents to open. Maybe not as many gift openings as Chanukah, but many more than most kids had. My childhood Christmases were blessed by family and love and joy.



Speaking of Chanukah

I realize that, except for the mention in Monday's Jokes post, I've not posted anything about Chanukah this year. So:


 BTW, I gave my caregiver a grocery shopping list today and had her do shopping. On the list was Christmas cookies, just in case I have some visitors at my home. When she returned she told me that the grocery had no Christmas cookies but she purchased these that "look like Christmas cookies." These are fine--excellent--so far as I'm concerned, Chanukah cookies taste as good as Christmas cookies:




NEW BLOG POSTS

Alexicon: Alex shares his excitement about his Kwistmaz Sockin:




Nick's Pics: Christmas photos from Christmasses Past:



Graphic Commentaries

Graphics that say more than words:












13 comments:

  1. Hello Nick and Alex,
    I hope this finds you both well and ready for Christmas.

    I'd like to wish you both a very merry Christmas and I hope the season brings you lots of joy.

    All my love to both of you as always
    Lia
    xx.

    Ps my favorite one today is Peace on Earth, some assembly required.
    Very clever xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas to you, Saintly Nick! And also to Alex the furball. You are both very special to me and I pray that the holidays are very good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I,too, like the "some assembly required" cartoon. It must take a LOT of assemblying (assembling?)! People have been trying for a very long time.

    Enjoy the day, Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your kitty kat, Alex. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick,great posting,Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, my old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Nick and Alex ~ sending every good and special wish your way this Christmas and always!
    Have a very merry!!! Ho Ho Ho
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Nick! Hope you and Alex have an excellent day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, Nick. Buon Natale from Simi and me xx woof!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a very merry Christmas, Nick. Enjoy those cookies. I loved when you said they "tasted as good." You're my kind of guy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas, sir! Merry Christmas, Mr. Alex.

    ReplyDelete