AMAZON

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Meditation on a Saturday Night


The wise man does not lay up treasure. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own. ~ Lao-Tze (c. 600 B.C.E)

I was meditating on the past six weeks I spent jousting with dragons. Specifically giving thanks for the many people who provided me with love, support, encouragement, and more. The vast majority of those folks were people I know from blogging and from Face Book. You folks were angels, bringing me God's love when I was caught in the Valley of death.

What I now find so amazing is that those who, in one way or another, refused to succor me were my own family and the denomination I have served as an ordained minister for the past 20+ years. With just a few exceptions, they turned their back on me, even with I made direct appeals for their aid.

That this happened is so biblical that I find it amazing how much what has taken place in my life Jesus spoke of in a parable:

Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. ‘Teacher,’ he said, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? What do you read there?’ He answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.’ And he said to him, ‘You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.’

But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’

Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.”

"Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’

He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’

Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’ 

~ Luke 10.25-35 (NRSV)

I cannot make sense of the reality that those closest to me turned their backs on me and walked on the other side of the road while so may people whom I have never met in person gave me such love and aid. Perhaps it depends upon who or what each understands is important in his or her life:



Thank you, my dear friends.

6 comments:

  1. A great posting.It is a shame that people turn their backs to their fellow man.Peace be with you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not understand how anyone could turn their back on you when you were going through all of that. I guess it does depend upon whom they serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, I don't understand it either. I've had, and in some cases still have, strained relationships with some close family members, and I don't understand why we go through things like this. But try to find forgiveness for the lack of understanding and support. You may never know why, but don't let this sit on your heart until it impairs beating. Most of all, be happy for the lessons you have garnered for your own survival, and for finding the extra reserve of inner strength you have.

    Nick, I think your path, while often filled with rocks and holes, making it difficult, holds more blessings than any of us can see.

    Will you be moving soon to the new place? And will you have people to help you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry those closest tuened their backs on you, Nick. I can only say it often happens. Please take comfort in all the love there is for you out here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your family and your church serve themselves and only themselves. That is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful video, Rev Saint. It is not so wonderful about the rejection you received from you family and the United Church of Christ.

    May God be with you and bless you, my dear and kindly friend.

    ReplyDelete